Wednesday 9 March 2016

Wednesday Catch-Up 9th March 2016

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next? 

Ann:

Currently Reading:

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)

I am currently Scarlet by Marissa Meyer which so far I am really enjoying. I love that it introduces new characters to the series and telling their story while still expanding on the plot of the previous book telling their story.

Recently Finished:

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)The Secrets of Drearcliff Grange School
I have recently finished Cinder and The Secrets of Drearcliff Grange School both of which I really enjoy and would recommend.

Planning to Read Next:

These Vicious Masks (These Vicious Masks, #1)SoundlessLady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1)
Next I plan on reading These Vicious Masks and Soundless and also hopefully Lady Midnight if Clare finishes it soon.



Clare:

Currently Reading:

Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1)
I feel like this is kind of an obvious one but Lady Midnight was released yesterday so of course I've started reading it. It's quite a chunky book so I haven't finished it yet but I hope to either today or tomorrow (because Ann is pestering me for it). So far I like it but not quite as much as I liked TMI or TID so we shall see what I think by the end!

Recently Finished:

These Vicious Masks (These Vicious Masks, #1)The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1)Rebel Mechanics (Rebel Mechanics, #1)Curio (Curio #1)Revenge and the Wild
The first book I finished this week was These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas which I flew through. It had everything I wanted it to and more and I am beyond excited for the sequel! I then went on to read The Dark Days Club which I really enjoyed but I found I wasn't fully immersed in the fantasy elements until near the end and Lady Helen's choice lacked some tension since I knew there were sequels. But overall this was a great read and I am very much looking forward to continuing the series. I really enjoyed Rebel Mechanics by Shanna Swendson, the world building could have done with some work as I didn't feel like the magic was as fleshed out as it could have been but I thought it was a fun read. I had almost the same problem with Curio in that, though I liked the characters I never really understood what was going on. I am not sure if I would want to read any sequels to Curio. Revenge and the Wild was very good. I really liked the characters and the plot was very gruesome at times which I didn't expect to like but I thought it worked. 

Planning to Read Next: 

The Steep and Thorny WayDorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)Princess of Thorns
Another book that was released yesterday was The Steep & Thorny Way which I am very excited for! And since it is a retelling (of Hamlet) I thought I'd read some more retellings from my TBR shelf so will be picking up Dorothy Must Die and Princess of Thorns. I've heard mixed things about the former but I am staying hopeful and I have really enjoyed Stacey Jay's other books so I'm sure I'll enjoy this as well!


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

8 comments:

  1. I'm really glad Ann's enjoying the Lunar Chronicles. I loved that series. And Cress and Winter are brilliant!

    I'm really looking forward to These Vicious Masks... when I get to it! The TBR just keeps growing!

    Thanks for visiting my WWW post earlier (https://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/www-wednesday-9th-march-2016/) and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Lunar Chronicles too and am so, so glad Ann enjoys it!
      I thought These Vicious Masks was excellent - but I definitely have the same problem with my TBR!

      Delete
  2. The Secrets of Drearcliffe Grange School has an awesome cover. Hope the book is equally good. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover was what drew me to it and then when the blurb mentioned a school for the children of criminals (amongst others) I had to have it! We both really enjoyed it and I believe Ann will have a review up for it soon.

      Delete
  3. I loved The Lunar Chronicles! Definitely one of my favorite series I read last year. I have a copy of These Vicious Masks waiting to be read; it looks really good. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to get Ann to read The Lunar Chronicles for ages and I am so glad she is enjoying them. I loved These Vicious Masks, I thought it was a really great read!

      Delete
  4. My friends have been reading The Lunar Chronicles and been pestering for me to read, I just haven't got to it. And been seeing the Cassandra Clare book everywhere too. Hope you'll enjoy reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I definitely recommend reading The Lunar Chronicles! It's a really great, fun series with some amazing characters! I finished Winter last year and I already miss the world!

      Delete