Wednesday 27 April 2016

Wednesday Catch-Up 27th April 2016

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next? 

Clare:

Currently Reading:
Death At Bishops Keep - The Victorian Mystery SeriesDeath at Gallows Green (The Victorian Mystery Series)
The next series I am reading is by Robin Paige and starts with Death at Bishop's Keep and Death at Gallows Green. These look like really interesting victorian mysteries and I am excited to get stuck in. I have only just started the first book but plan to read them both today since I don't have anything else planned and can just have a reading day!


Recently Finished:
Death in the Clouds (Poirot)Sad Cypress (Hercule Poirot, #21)Hickory Dickory Dock (Hercule Poirot, #30)
The Clocks (Hercule Poirot, #34)Lost Among the LivingMurphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)Miss Silver Comes to StayThe Girl in the Cellar
I rounded off my Poirot-a-thon with the last four books I currently have. Death in the Clouds was wonderfully twisty and surprising and I can honestly say I did not see that ending coming! Sad Cypress was similarly twisting but I was able to work the mystery out, if only just before it was revealed! Hickory Dickory Dock was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed all the characters and personalities. The only slightly disappointing one was The Clocks which didn't really feel like a Poirot book at all since he spends perhaps two chapters in the book. But it was still an interesting read even if I didn't love the way the mystery was resolved. I then read a very anticipated book for me - Lost Among the Living by Simone St. James which I really enjoyed. It wasn't my favourite of hers books - I found it a little less chilling and romantic but I still thoroughly enjoyed it and I can't wait for more from her. I was then slightly disappointed by Murphy's Law by Rhys Bowen - the historical details were there but the characters just weren't as good. I didn't love the main character and I found the mystery less than compelling. I then went back to some good old Christie-style novels and found I really enjoyed Lonesome Road by Patricia Wentworth. I've been meaning to read this series for a while and I found it just a comfortable and interesting read. The mystery didn't keep me on the edge of the seat but I was so compelled by the characters that I didn't care much. Miss Silver Comes to Stay went the opposite way and had a compelling mystery with less compelling characters but it was still very enjoyable as was my final Wentworth book The Girl in the Cellar. 

Planning to Read Next:
Brighton BelleLondon CallingEngland Expects
Next I am planning to read the Mirabelle Bevan mysteries by Sarah Sheridan. These sound like really fun, interesting mysteries (definitely on a mystery kick at the moment) but they also sound like they cover some important issues of the time. I am very intrigued by these and I really love these covers!


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

6 comments:

  1. I love the new Agatha Christie covers. They look so clean and sophisticated.

    https://girlof1000wonders.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/www-wednesdays-april-27/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I want to own all the books with these covers. I have one in a different cover but I much prefer these!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I actually don't often read mysteries but all this month I've been in a huge mystery mood!

      Delete
  3. Now I want to read a mystery! It's been a long time since I've spent time with one. It might be about time for the last Galbraith book for me. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even read the first Galbraith yet! Really need to get on that!

      Delete