Wednesday 30 November 2016

Wednesday Catch-Up 30th November 2016

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next?

Currently Reading:
Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1)Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
I am just about to start reading Slave to Sensation which is the first book in the Psy-Changeling series. I am super excited for this one as I have heard some great things and I really just need some quick, exciting reads right now! I am also still reading Tales From the Shadowhunter Academy. Although I keep saying this but I have only opened it once. I intend to start reading one story a day.

Recently Finished:
Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)Burn (Dark in You #1)Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Newt Scamander: A Movie Scrapbook (Fantastic Beasts Film Tie in)Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
I had heard so many good things about Nevernight so I was excited to buddy-read it with Veronika from Regal Critiques but I ended up being really disappointed. I never got into the writing style nor did I connect with the characters so it wound up taking me far longer than I would've liked to finish it. The bones of a good story are there and I kind of want to know what happens next but ultimately I don't think I will finish the series. I then read Burn by Suzanne Wright which was a quick read. I did enjoy it although I had a lot of problems with the plot which was a bit messy and the romance was just not for me. But it was the sort of fast read I really needed after Nevernight. Newt Scamander: A Movie Scrapbook was another Fantastic Beasts book - I liked it but it definitely seemed more oriented towards children than The Case of Beasts was, the latter had more in depth information. I think this is one I will probably read with my younger brother. The Fantastic Beasts Screenplay was wonderful. It really is such a beautiful book (I keep just staring at it on my shelf) and reading it reminded me of how much I genuinely loved the film.

Planning to Read Next:
Firelight (Darkest London, #1)The Viscount and the Vixen (Hellions of Havisham, #3)Someone to Love (Westcott, #1)
Next up is Firelight by Kristen Callihan which is another one I have heard some great things about. I love historical romances and I love fantasy/paranormal so the combination should be a hit. I am then planning to read two new releases. The Viscount and the Vixen is set for release tomorrow so I am hoping my copy arrives on time! And Someone to Love is the start of a new series from Mary Balogh, who is one of those authors I constantly come back to!

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading.

12 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Nevernight :-( At least Fantastic Beasts (both movie and screenplay) seem to have made up for it! It'll be ages before I can see the movie, but I'm looking forward to it.

    Thanks for visiting my WWW earlier (https://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2016/11/30/www-wednesday-30th-november-2016/) and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Nevernight just wasn't for me. I can kind of see why other people like it but the connection just wasn't there! Fantastic Beasts was wonderful hope you get to see it soon!

      Delete
  2. It has been a while since I read historical romance, but those three look tempting. Enjoy! Here's MY WWW POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have really started reading more historical romance this year and I love it!

      Delete
  3. I've been umming and ahhing about Fantastic Beasts... For sure I want to see the film, but I'm undecided about the book/screenplay. You can't deny it looks stunning though! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back and forth on whether to buy it or not as well but in the end I am glad I did! It's a beautiful copy and I love the story!

      Delete
  4. Wow all of these books sound amazing! How is Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy? I haven't gotten a copy yet but I really want to get myself a copy soon! My WWW: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/www-wednesday5906078

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to tell so far! I am finding it hard to get the motivation to read it to be honest - I keep getting distracted by other books!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed the Fantastic Beasts screenplay! I'm reminded that I still have to buy it! Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's really good! Hope you get it soon!

      Delete
  6. A few of the reviewers I follow on GoodReads had the same feelings about Nevernight as you. I don't think it's one for me. the Fantastic Beasts screenplay does look like a very beautiful book, though!

    Thanks for visiting my WWW and happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad some people agree with me if only so I don't feel so left out - it's getting a lot of love! Fantastic Beasts has a beautiful cover and I really like the naked cover as well!

      Delete