Monday 2 January 2017

Academy Award Book Tag

We did this tag last year and it was a lot of fun. It also gave us a chance to show some books that maybe didn't make our favourites list (here are my Top Ten Books of the Year) but still had elements that were great (for example an amazing main character). 

Best Actor (Best Male Protagonist):
Magnus from Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan
Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #2)
Magnus stole my heart this year. I don't remember him standing out to me when I read the first book last year but he has really grown as a character and is just so lovable. I generally gravitate towards anti-heroes so it's weird for me to so love a character who isn't really an anti-hero but I really do. 

Best Actress (Best Female Protagonist):
Inej/Nina from Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
I think it's basically impossible for me to pick between Inej and Nina because I love them in such different ways. Inej is so tough and kick-ass and I love reading from her perspective a lot. But Nina is strong in a different way - I really admire her self-confidence and she just makes me smile. It's Nina who I really want to have her own spin-off series. She deserves it and I think there is so much of her story left to tell. 

Best Cinematography (Best Plot Twist):
Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)
This book was packed full of plot twists! I never knew what was going to happen next and I had serious trust issues by the end. But in a good way. It was an exciting read and I just know that the next book is going to be incredible.

Best Costume Design (Best Book Cover):
Heartless by Marissa Meyer
Heartless
I still haven't read this! But it is one heck of a gorgeous cover. It's very simple but striking and the naked cover is one of the best I have ever seen. 2016 was a year of amazing covers - as a huge cover-lover I am really happy with how much effort goes into them. But this one definitely stood out to me.

Best Supporting Actress and Actor (Best Male or Female Sidekick):
Primrose and Percy in Imprudence by Gail Carriger
Imprudence (The Custard Protocol, #2)
I love all the characters in this series. Primrose is possibly my favourite - she is so funny but sweet and strong. I love every scene that she is in. Percy is also such a great character and I look forward to reading more about him as the series progresses. 

Best Original Screenplay (Most Unique Plot/World):
The Martian by Andy Weir
The Martian
So Andy Weir didn't invent this world but the detail and the knowledge of what living on Mars would be like is incredible. And definitely unique - I don't feel like this is a book I have read before and I loved it. I haven't seen the film yet but I have it on DVD and will definitely be watching it soon!

Best Adapted Screenplay (Best Book-to-Movie Adaptation):
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
Shamefully I think this is the only book-to-movie adaptation I have seen this year and I am not even sure it counts! But I am going with it! I loved Fantastic Beasts, Newt was an incredible character and Eddie portrayed him perfectly. And I really loved all the side characters and the Fantastic Beasts. It was so wonderful to be back in the Wizarding world again and I love that we get to look forward to each film being released!

Best Animated Feature (A Book That Would Work Well in Animated Format):
The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilg
The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl from Everywhere, #1)
I struggle with this category the most. Possibly because I don't watch a lot of animations (outside Disney/Pixar) and in my head I tend to make books into movies. But I feel like The Girl From Everywhere would actually work pretty well in animated format. 

Best Director (A Writer You Discovered for the First Time):
Sarah Morgan
Sleepless In Manhattan (From Manhattan with Love, #1)
The struggle with this category was narrowing it down to just one - I discovered so, so many new-to-me authors this year (I actually have a post about it here) but Sarah Morgan just makes it to the top of the list. I am so excited for all of her upcoming books!

Best Visual Effects (Best Action in a Book): 
Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye
Jane Steele
I don't read a lot of action for some reason - or I just couldn't think of any. But I remember being really impressed with the violence in Jane Steele. This was a really great read this year which I don't feel like I mention enough although I do have a review up for it here

Best Musical Score (Best Music in a Book to Movie Adaptation):
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
I was trying so hard not to have duplicate answers. But like I said - this was the only Book-to-Movie adaptation I saw this year so it doesn't have a lot of competition! 

Best Short Film (Best Novella or Short Book):
Newt's Emerald by Garth Nix
Newt's Emerald
Another genre I need to read more of is novellas - this book is around 300 pages I believe. It's another one I don't mention a lot but really loved. It wasn't at all what I was expecting having read a couple of other Garth Nix books before, but I really enjoyed it. 

Best Picture (Best Stand-Alone):
The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis
The Female of the Species
This is one of those categories I love this tag for. Because I read a lot of series', Stand-Alones can get a bit overshadowed. And The Female of the Species deserves to be in the spotlight. This was such an incredible, hard-hitting book. I was impressed and hurt by it. Reading it felt a little like being punched in the stomach but I have so much love for it and for Mindy McGinnis.

Best Documentary (Best Historical Fiction or Non-Fiction):
The Vatican Princess by C.W. Gortner
The Vatican Princess
Lucrezia Borgia has always fascinated me - she is one of those women in history who, much like Anne Boleyn, have so many differing stories told about them. Victim or Villain? This is my favourite portrayal of Lucrezia so far, at least partially because this felt so real. It felt plausible as I read it and I fell in love with her as a character. I have a review for this here.

And so another year has gone! It's been a tough year for a lot of people, myself included, but there have been a few highs. And most of mine come from reading and blogging! I am so grateful for everyone I've gotten to know over the past year and I am very excited for 2017! Happy New Year everyone - let's hope it's a good one!!

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

2 comments:

  1. I think reading was a source of comfort for many of us! I can't wait to read gemina it's good to know Magnus gets more likable as I saw a few reviews where people weren't super impressed w/ him. great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a few people who weren't impressed with Magnus - especially in comparison with Percy whom everyone loves! But he definitely grew on me!

      Delete