Friday 13 January 2017

Friday Reads 13th January 2017

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader. The idea is to share a sentence or so from the first page and the 56th page of the book you are currently reading! 

The Secret
Book Beginning:
"She had first married Thomas Roberts in the school playground when she was five years old."

Friday 56:
"She hadn't noticed Selwyn leaning in the doorway, a look of quiet amusement on his face."
I am only 80 pages into this so far and I am not really sure what I think yet. It seems to follow a number of different perspectives in different times and, as usually happens with a book like this, there are perspectives I prefer to others. At the moment I am most enjoying the 2016 sections! The mystery is very good so far - I am really keen to find out what decision Mary made. 

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

19 comments:

  1. I love the cover...and from the excerpts, I can feel myself engaging, wanting to know more. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snippets are quite intriguing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful cover and the lines are interesting. I'd like to know more about this story.
    http://runwright.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good story - definitely do recommend it!

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of this one before I do like the beginning and 56. I hope you enjoy it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good - I now want to read the author's other novel!

      Delete
  5. That opening is catchy and love the cover. I just finished a book written from different perspectives and different times. It took a bit to get the hang of it, and then it took off. Hope you enjoy this one.

    My Friday 56 from Deadly Spirits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be hard - especially when you get into one perspective more than the other!

      Delete
  6. Sounds good. I sometimes have difficulties with books told in various times and with various perspectives. It depends on the author's talent and interweaving them. I am spotlighting A Merciful Death by Kendra Elliott this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's undeerstandable - both stories need to be compelling and cohesive or it just doesn't work! Luckily this one did for the most part!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Happy weekend to you too! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. Oh, that's a cute beginning. I hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really sweet - I can remember playground weddings at my school!

      Delete
  9. The Secret is a mystery? The bits you quote make it sound like there's some romance involved. Is that part of the different perspectives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a mystery surrounding Beth's parentage - there isn't really a romance as such. There is love and relationships but all of the relationships started before the book so they're all established couples.

      Delete
  10. I like the title and the book beginning.

    ReplyDelete