Sunday 15 January 2017

Sunday Post 15th January 2017

STSmall_thumb[2]
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it.

I've not been doing a lot of reading this week - although I am in a reviewing frame of mind I seem to be taking books slowly at the moment, plus I've rediscovered a lot of old movies that I loved when I was younger. This was the first week that Ann and I reviewed the same book and it was really interesting for me to see where are thoughts were different or similar and just how different our rating systems are! 

Last Week on the Blog:

Books We Got This Week:

A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)Zucchini's Zany LifeAfter the Last Dance
A Perilous Undertaking by Deanna Raybourn: I love Deanna Raybourn's books so I am excited for this. The first book A Curious Beginning was a book I really enjoyed last year.
Zucchini's Zany Life by Marilla Mulwane: Thank you to Marilla for sending me a pdf copy of this for review! I used to really want a pet duck so I was immediately drawn to this. It's a short read so I know I will be reading it soon!
After the Last Dance by Sarra Manning: I purchased this after Christmas from Amazon marketplace and then promptly forgot I ordered it, so this was a nice surprise! It's set in two different times and seems very different from the other Manning books I've read!
Paris Night & Day Coloring Book: Timeless Landmarks to Bring to LifeWindwitch (The Witchlands, #2)Life and Death of the Wicked Lady Skelton
Paris Night and Day Coloring Book by Patricia Moffett: Our Mum bought Ann and I a copy of this each so we can compare our colouring! I love colouring books and this is a beautiful one! 
Windwitch by Susan Dennard: I am so, so excited to start this series! I've had Truthwitch since it was released and haven't got around to reading it yet but now that I have this I hope I will read them soon!
Life and Death of the Wicked Lady Skelton by Magdalen King-Hall with an introduction by Rowland Hughes: I was sent this for review by the University of Hertfordshire Press and I am very intrigued. I've never seen the movie (The Wicked Lady) which is based off this book but Katherine Ferrers fascinates me.

Reading Update:

Ann:
I haven't read any books this week as I have been very busy with my mock exams but I can say that those have gone well! I've so far done three English, three Maths, two French, two Science and a Geography exam.

Clare:
Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2)Caressed by Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3)The Secret
Visions of Heat by Nalini Singh: 4 stars, I enjoyed this a lot. This series is really dragging me in now and I definitely want to finish it this year! 
Caressed By Ice by Nalini Singh: 4.5 stars, Probably the best plot of the series so far - it was very dark and the romance was excellent. I did take a while to warm up to Judd but he is a great character and Brenna was just amazing all the way through.
The Secret by Kathryn Hughes: 3.5 stars, This was a very intriguing book, plenty of twists and turns and it felt like all the characters were keeping secrets - most of them relating to the one big secret at the centre of the story. I will have a full review up for this tomorrow!

Next Week on the Blog:

  • Clare Reviews: The Secret by Kathryn Hughes
  • Top Ten Hidden Gems of 2016
  • Wednesday Catch-Up
  • Top 5 Polarising Books
  • Clare Reviews: The Smoke Hunter by Jacquelyn Benson
  • Friday Reads
  • Ann Reviews: The Creeping Shadow by Jonathan Stroud

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

13 comments:

  1. I love watching old movies. :) A Perilous Undertaking looks nice- I like that cover. And Windwitch too which seems to be showing up all over now- curious to see how that turns out.

    Have a great week! Can't wait for the Smoke Hunter review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard great things about Truthwitch - especially about the friendships in it - so I am excited for it!
      The review should be up on Thursday!! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, love the idea of being in a 'reviewing' frame of mind. I'm usually the opposite. I'm always happy to read but sometimes having the write the review takes more effort than I have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is I am always either in a reviewing frame of mind OR a reading frame of mind! I never seem to get both at the same time!

      Delete
  3. I love the sound of Sara Mannings book. I need read Truth witch and wind witch as well. I have heard such great things about it. Love the Paris day and night colouring book my sister would love it. I really want to read Nalini Singh. Have a great week ladies.

    Megan @ reading away the days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! So many people seem to love Truthwitch! The Paris Day and Night book is really very nice - I can't wait to colour some of it in! I just recently discovered Nalini Singh and now I really enjoy her books! Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. I wish I could get into a "reviewing" frame of mind. :) Windwitch looks interesting, I like the cover. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I am not in one nearly often enough so I have to take advantage! :) I like the Windwitch cover more than I liked the Truthwitch one I think!

      Delete
  5. I am curious about After the Last Dance and The Secret. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My review of The Secret is now up! I really enjoyed it overall! And I am hopeful about After the Last Dance!

      Delete
  6. I've also been on an old movie kick. Watched a lot of Turner Classics this holiday. I'm sure you'll get back into your reading after a short break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Turner Classics have taken over my free time! But its good to have a break sometimes!

      Delete
  7. Ooooh enjoy your Paris Coloring Book!
    Enjoy your books :)

    Sugar & Snark - Latest haul

    ReplyDelete