Friday 26 May 2017

Friday Reads 26th May 2017

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader. The idea is to share a sentence or so from the first page and the 56th page of the book you are currently reading!

The Upside of Unrequited
Book Beginning:
"I'm on the toilet at the 9:30 Club, and I'm wondering how mermaids pee."

Friday 56:
"Because there's nausea and fog, but there's also this: an unshakable feeling that something wonderful is about to happen."
Upside was one of my most anticipated reads of the entire year. Yet it was released nearly two months ago and I still haven't read it. Why? Because Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda is one of my favourite books of all time - and there's a part of me that is terrified Upside won't live up to that. But I'm finally starting it and I'm more excited for it than I am nervous now thankfully. I've heard so much good about this book since it was released and I can't wait to dive in.


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading. 

26 comments:

  1. Love that beginning! Okay then lol. Hope this one lives up to the first book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Such a random start but it definitely made me laugh!! :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read this! Hope it'll live up to the hype! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is so far - I'm loving it! :)

      Delete
  3. Really hoping you're not disappointed. That is such a familiar fear - that the next book isn't as good as the last. I'm reading I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm forever getting excited about a new release and then putting off reading it out of fear!! This one actually IS living up to the first book though thankfully!!

      Delete
  4. Fun! I have the nausea and fog right now, I hope i get the "something wonderful happening" too! lol

    Here's my current read: http://bit.ly/2rXibtc

    Have a good one!

    Sass x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! All the nausea and fog none of the something wonderful - not yet anyway!!

      Delete
  5. What a beginning! Now I'm kind of wondering how mermaids pee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Same. Its kind of ruining the magic of mermaids for me. :)

      Delete
  6. I've heard such great things about this book. Contemporary is not usually my favorite genre, but all the wonderful reviews are starting to sway me to pick this one up.
    --but seriously...how DO they pee? Also, thinking about mermaids having bodily functions does ruin the fantastical illusion of them a bit lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contemporary rarely works for me but when it does it's always amazing! And this WAS amazing! And YES totally going to be thinking this every time I see a mermaid on film now?

      Delete
  7. That beginning made me smile. And I know what you mean about not wanting a second book to disappoint, after loving the first one. Enjoy! Here's mine: “IT’S ALWAYS THE HUSBAND”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me smile too! And yes it's always terrifying! But this one didn't let me down!

      Delete
  8. How mermaids pee?! LOL! You got me there! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody can even give me an answer? I'm probably doomed to wonder this forever now! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. Hope you love this one and it doesn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really didn't! It was such a wonderful read!

      Delete
  10. Oooh! I really want to read this book too!

    Here’s my Friday 56!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the first time I've seen this book - the beginning is funny! Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good!!You should definitely check it out if you like YA contemporary!

      Delete
  12. I hope it lives up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really, really did! Definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  13. I can understand the fear! Hope its just as good! And the beginning! I wonder about that too hahaha!
    Here's my Friday Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I've never wondered before but now I really want an answer!! :)

      Delete