Wednesday 17 May 2017

Wednesday Catch-Up 17th May 2017

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next? You can click any of the images to go to the Goodreads page for that book!

Currently Reading:

Shadows on the Nile
I've actually read Shadows on the Nile before but reading The Far Side of the Sun reminded me how much I love Furnivall's writing so I picked it up again. Plus I am always a sucker for books set in Egypt! 

Recently Finished:

 Crimson and BoneMaplecroft (The Borden Dispatches, #1)The Dead HouseMissingTill Death
I Want It That Way (2B Trilogy #1)As Long As You Love Me (2B Trilogy, #2)The Shape of My Heart  (2B Trilogy #3)Queens of GeekThe Far Side of the Sun
Crimson & Bone was even more incredible than I had expected. Marina Fiorato's books are always excellent but this was, in my opinion, her best so far. It was an engrossing tale of obsession and I couldn't put it down! My full review will be up tomorrow. I then picked up Maplecroft which was nothing like I had expected. Being me the mention of Lizzie Borden was enough for me to buy it and I never read the blurb but it was a lot of fun and I loved all the characters. The Dead House was another excellent read, it definitely had me guessing the whole way through and even now I'm not sure I could say conclusively whether Carly/Kaitlyn were really two people in one body or whether is was MPD. Missing was a YA thriller from the wonderful Kelley Armstrong and it was good. I found the mystery less baffling than I expected to but it was still engaging which is good. Till Death was my only real disappointment of the week, although I liked the romance I found the mystery was way too easy and thus I got a bit bored of it. I then read Ann Aguirre's 2B trilogy which was great - definitely the best New Adult series I've read with engaging characters and plots that weren't as cliche driven as I usually expect from NA. Queens of Geek was a super cute, super lovely contemporary. I loved that it was set around a Con and with vloggers - I loved even more that one main character was bi and the other was socially anxious (and on the autism spectrum). I then started The Far Side of the Sun which is a Kate Furnivall novel I've been wanting to read for a while, it was really good as all her books are. She is another favourite in Historical fiction. 


Planning to Read Next:

The Italian WifeThe LiberationThe Himalayan Summer
Continuing on this Kate Furnivall kick I'm on I am planning to read The Italian Wife and The Liberation which are the only other books by her I have yet to read. Then all I have to do is wait impatiently for her next book to be published! And then I am going to pick up The Himalayan Summer which I am really looking forward to. Louise Brown's Eden Gardens was a really promising debut and this sounds even better so I'm excited! 


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

12 comments:

  1. Queens of Geek sounds adorable! I need to get my hands on that.

    I've never read anything by Kate Furnivall but I do love the covers!

    Here's my WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super adorable! Definitely recommend it if you can get your hands on a copy!

      Delete
  2. You certainly seem to be a Kate Furnivall fan! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally enjoy her books! She writes historical fiction really well!

      Delete
  3. I have The Dead House on audio; Kate Furnivall's book look interesting and so does The Himalayan Summer. Here's my WWW http://4thelvofreading.blogspot.com/2017/05/www-wednesdays-5172017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet The Dead House would be really good on audio! Hoping for great things from The Himalayan Summer!

      Delete
  4. I've never read Kate Furnivall, but now I am intrigued by The Italian Wife and The Liberation. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does historical fiction really well so if you're interested in the time period at all I definitely recommend them

      Delete
  5. Wow, you've read a lot of great books. Looking forward to tomorrow's review as I've been curious about it since I first saw it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a really good reading week overall! Hope my review is helpful - it's a really great historical!

      Delete
  6. I'd like to read more books set in Egypt, definitely. I thought Missing and Queens of Geek were good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There never seem to be many set there and yet its such an intriguing setting!! :)

      Delete