Tuesday 3 October 2017

Clare's September Wrap Up & October TBR

September Wrap Up:

House of AshS.T.A.G.SWater in MayThe Hearts We Sold
12. House of Ash by Hope Cook: Just a real disappointment. This wasn't as creepy as it hoped it was and the characters bored me enough that I didn't really care whether they made it through the book at all. The ending was just a bit too clean for me as well.
11. S.T.A.G.S. by M.A. Bennett: This seemed like a really interesting concept but it was ruined when the ending was spoiled right at the beginning. If you begin your book telling me who lives and who dies I'm really not going to be at all in suspense. And this story needed suspense.
10. Water in May by Ismee Amiel Williams: I really liked all of the characters and the plot was super compelling. I was put off by some hints of homophobia that I really did not want.
9. The Hearts We Sold by Emily Lloyd-Jones: Really unique idea, I loved the demons - not so much the humans. I did race through this because it was very compelling but looking back on it there were some flaws. That said it was really enjoyable.
Burning by Danielle  RollinsBreakingThe TreatmentThe Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
8/7. Burning and Breaking by Danielle Rollins: Burning was my least favourite of the two. It definitely comes across weaker - it isn't as compelling. But Breaking was very interesting - I loved the idea of, as the tagline says "What makes a girl a monster" and thought it was executed really well. So many of the characters were unlikable but in a really good way.
6. The Treatment by C.L. Taylor: This is almost dystopia except its set in the very-near-basically-now future. It was very tense and I love books where you never know who to trust. I was most intrigued by the sibling relationship (as always) and thought it was well done. I would definitely read more from Taylor!
5. The Diviners by Libba Bray: This was a re-read and one of my favourite books of all time. (I've placed it lower down to be fair on new reads). This is creepy, and beautiful and the characters are incredible and I am just so excited for the third book WHICH COMES OUT TODAY!!
Black Bird of the GallowsDevotedOdd & TrueDaughter of the Burning City
4. Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel: What I actually love about this book is how classic YA it feels - yet still new. If you ever get nostalgic thinking of the Lux series or even the Twilight series but want amazing writing - then this is probably for you. This book reignited my love for YA which has been kind of waning lately!
3. Devoted by Jennifer Mathieu: Read this as part of an upcoming collab with Vera @ Regal Critiques and absolutely loved it. I'm not usually drawn to books about faith but Vera loves this book so much that I had to give it a try - and it was so good!! Interesting and tense and I was so, so attached to the characters.
2. Odd & True by Cat Winters: Cat Winters has literally never failed me. My review for this should actually go up tomorrow so keep an eye out for that - this was incredible. The sister dynamics were wonderful, the mystery had me on the edge of my seat and I thought the ending was incredible!
1. Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody: THIS BOOK! I wanted to re-read it the second I finished it. I want multiple copies of it. I just. Love. This. Book. The characters were amazing, the story was incredible and the setting made me actually want to dive into the book in a way I haven't wanted to since Harry Potter!!



Reviews Posted This Month:

  • Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody


October TBR:

Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)All the Crooked SaintsThe Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)Turtles All the Way Down27 Hours (The Nightside Saga, #1)The Last Namsara (Iskari, #1)La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust, #1)The Empress (The Diabolic #2)

October shall forever be known as the month releases finally killed me. My bank balance will come for me on a revenge spree or my TBR pile will topple and crush me whilst I sleep. I'm actually feeling super daunted by how many books are releasing in October. And this isn't even all the ones I'm excited for!

I've also been inspired by Vera (whose wonderful wrap up post is here) to add some links to some of my favourite blog posts from other bloggers this month!

  • Barb at Booker T's Farm reviewed Black Bird of the Gallows and I agree that I will never look at bees the same way again after reading it!!!
  • If you're interested in gaming (which I am) you should definitely check out Puffin Zero's post on Destiny 2 which made me super anxious to play it!
  • As a red-head I was excited to read Lauren @ Always Me's Top Ten Books That Feature Characters With Red Hair and she made some excellent picks!!
  • Vera @ Regal Critiques discussed the Top Ten #OwnVoices Books she has read so far this year and you should definitely check out all the books on the list!!
  • Ashley @ What She's Read showed which 5 Book Inspired Classes she would teach and I would 100% attend all these lessons!!


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

3 comments:

  1. All of those titles look good. I like the new-to-me cover for The Diviners. Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`m really excited about The Glass Spare, though I`ve heard mixed things about it. It sounds interesting, so I hope it`s good.

    Carmen / Carmen`s Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. OCTOBER IS GOING TO BE AMAZING, no doubt! I'm super-excited for SO MANY new releases. The Empress, 27 Hours and All the Crooked Saints are on my October TBR, as well, so let me know if you want to buddy-read either of them.

    I thiink, I took Daughter of the Burning City off my TBR, but I'm totally putting it back there, because your enthusiasm for it convinced me it is well-worth my money/time. ALSO, I've just started Black Bird of the Gallows (I know, Diviners, I KNOW, I'll finish it today, I swear), because your review convinced me to do so asap. Hope your October is/will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete